Feb 01, 2023
The English major provides excellent pre-professional preparation to pursue careers in writing and journalism and for graduate study. The major offers students an opportunity to explore the various genres and rich heritage of English literature, to develop advanced skills in creative and expository writing, interpretation and literary criticism, listening, and oral communication, and to understand the history and structure of the English language.
Students interested in teaching English may earn an endorsement for Secondary English/Language Arts Licensure Program: B.A. English by completing the English major and the appropriate requirements of the School of Education.
The Bachelor of Arts in English requires completion of the following 120 credits:
General Education Core (48 credit hours)
English Major Core (42 credit hours)
Electives (30 credit hours)
Please note: ENG 201 - Introduction to Literature is not an option for English majors within the General Education Requirements.
General Education Requirements (48 credit hours)
Arts and Humanities (9 credit hours)
Take one course from each of the following three academic disciplines:
Fine Arts (3 credit hours)
Choose one course from the following:
Literature (3 credit hours)
The General Education Literature requirement for English Majors:
Philosophy (3 credit hours)
Biblical Studies (12 credit hours)
Take the following four courses (some courses are cross-listed and only one prefix needs to be taken):
Communication (6 credit hours)
Mathematics (3 credit hours)
Social Sciences (12 credit hours)
Take each of the following four courses:
English Major (42 credit hours)
English Core (30 credit hours)
English Emphases (12 credit hours)
Choose one of the three English Emphases below.
Creative Writing Emphasis (12 credit hours)
Graduate Studies Track (12 credit hours)
Guided Literary Studies Emphasis (12 credit hours)
Choose four courses from the list of courses that are included in the Creative Writing Emphasis and Graduate Studies Track.
Please consult with an English faculty member as well as your academic advisor to assist you in selecting courses appropriate for your career path.
Graduation Requirements for Bachelor of Arts in English
The faculty recommends students in the B.A. in English to the Board of Trustees as candidates for graduation when they have completed the following requirements.
- Completion of a total of 120 credits, including all general education, electives and English major program requirements.
- A letter grade of D or better and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all CCU coursework, and a GPA of 2.0 or higher for all courses specified for the major.
- Completion of 180 hours of ministry/community service and 180 chapel credits. Transfer students are required to complete 45 hours of ministry/community service and 45 chapel credits each year of attendance at CCU. For further details on ministry/community service, see the Life Directions Center (LDC) section of this catalog. For further details on chapel credits, see the Student Life section of this catalog.
- Meet the CCU Residency requirements .
- Acceptable performance on exit exams, as required by the faculty.
- Formal and timely application for graduation by the date specified by the University Registrar.
- No outstanding financial obligation to the University.