Academic Catalog 2009-2010 
    Nov 28, 2022  
Academic Catalog 2009-2010 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Alternative Licensing Program

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees, Programs and Schools

Colorado Christian University offers an Alternative Teacher Licensure Program as approved by the Colorado Department of Education. This is a one-year program designed for non-licensed teachers who are teaching more than half time in a Colorado public or private school. The program includes supervised coaching in the classroom, as well as 15 credit hours of graduate course work which may be applied to a Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction. The combination of classroom teaching and graduate coursework leads to an initial teaching license, the standard entry-level license in Colorado. Students interested in the Alternative Licensing program must have completed a Bachelor’s Degree. 

Before a candidate is fully admitted to the program several of the following preliminary steps must occur:

  1. The candidate must apply to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to be admitted to the Alternative Teacher Licensing Program. Visit the CDE website, download, complete and submit to CDE the application for the Alternative Teacher license. Officials at CDE will determine what area or areas a candidate is qualified to teach.
  2. The candidate must take and pass the State Approved Content Exam in the area(s) designated and approved by the Colorado Department of Education based on their application review (elementary education, mathematics, etc).
  3. The Colorado Department of Education will issue a Statement of Eligibility to the candidate. This certificate is good for three years and allows a district to hire a person in the area(s) specified.
  4. After a student has received the Statement of Eligibility from the Colorado Department of Education and secured a teaching position for more than half time in a public or private school, the student may apply to the CCU Alternative Licensing Program.
  5. The student must contact the school/district of employment and receive approval for completing the Alternative Licensing Program through CCU.
  6. There are two programs offered through CCU: Special Education Generalist and Regular Alternative Teacher Licensure (early childhood, elementary, and grades 7-12 all subject areas except English Language Learners).                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Students from non-regionally accredited colleges or universities:

The Colorado Department of Education requires that students pursuing teaching licensure in Colorado earn a degree from a regionally accredited college or university (e.g. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools). Some colleges and universities are not regionally accredited by secular accrediting organizations, yet many of these colleges and universities are recognized by their state to award a teaching certificate or license. CCU recognizes the Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) as a quality accrediting body for sectarian institutions. Students who hold a bachelor’s degree from ABHE may be considered for the CCU Alternative Licensing Program, and thereby qualify for consideration for a Colorado Teaching License. Students in this category should submit an application for Alternative Licensure to CDE and contact the Director of the Alternative Licensing Program at CCU to see if they will be considered. 


Master’s degree (19 additional credits)

For students who intend to earn the Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction (MACI) , an additional 19 credits of MACI coursework must be completed. Contact your Student Service Advisor for additional information.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees, Programs and Schools