May 29, 2022
Academic Catalog 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Arts: Liberal Arts with Early Childhood Education Licensing (CAGS)
Within the context of a Christian worldview, the B.A. in Liberal Arts with Early Childhood Education Licensing degree provides a challenging, theory-based and application-oriented approach to education. Students acquire knowledge, develop skills and demonstrate competencies necessary to teach effectively in public and private schools. Courses and field experiences develop educators who are dedicated to addressing diverse learner needs with excellence through servant-leadership in their field and in society.
The emphasis on becoming a master teacher enhances the student’s teaching abilities through the study of curriculum development, program assessment, psychological foundations of teaching methods, group dynamics, and critical thinking skills. These principles are then put into practical application with the student gaining hands-on experience in the classroom. This combination of conceptual knowledge applied in real-world classroom experiences contributes to the student’s development as a master teacher.
Students who satisfactorily complete all requirements of the Early Childhood Education Licensing program are qualified to teach birth through 8 years in Colorado. Upon successful program completion, graduates meet requirements for certification by the Association of Christian Schools International and may also apply to the Colorado Department of Education for a teaching license.
Students in the bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts with Early Childhood Education Licensing program may apply to the Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction . Upon acceptance, one graduate level course included in the B.A. professional core can be applied to the MACI degree.
Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts with Early Childhood Education Licensing (120 credits):
General Education (22 credits)
Liberal Arts Major Core (26 credits)
Prerequisite Professional Core (6 credits)
Early Childhood Professional Core (42 credits)
Electives (24 credits)
General Education Core Requirements (22 credit hours)
Integrative Studies (3 credit hours)
Behavioral, Social Science - (3 credit hours)
Communications - (9 credit hours)
Additional Written Communication (choose one)
Oral/Interpersonal Communication (choose one)
Mathematics - (3 credit hours)
Natural/Physical Science - (4 credits w/lab)
Liberal Arts Major Core Requirements (26 credit hours)
Elective Requirements (24 credit hours)
Complete 24 hours of elective credits.
Requirements for Entrance into the Professional Core:
- Completed background check. (Required for program admission in order to be placed in a field experience.)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 for courses completed at CCU. A minimum of 9 credit hours must be completed at CCU prior to admission into the education programs.
- Interview with Dean of Curriculum and Instruction Education, Program Director or other education staff designee.
- Writing sample completed at time of interview.
- Applicants must complete all general education, liberal arts, and elective requirements prior to enrolling in any education courses. Applicants may be admitted by the Program Director for conditional admission with a maximum of 9 credits outstanding in any of the above areas. Prerequisite requirements may not be part of the 9 outstanding credits.
- One non-family letter of recommendation.
- In addition, applicants to an early childhood education program must submit official transcripts of completion of two prerequisite courses at a Colorado community college or another accredited institution of higher education (prerequisites listed below).
Prerequisite Professional Core Requirements (6 credit hours)
Students must demonstrate a foundational background in early childhood education prior to beginning this degree by transferring 6 credits of early childhood education coursework from an accredited university. All students must transfer ECE 205 - Health, Safety, and Nutrition for ECE (3) and the additional 3 credits may be from any 100 level or higher ECE course, except field work or practicum experiences.
Professional Core Requirements (42 credit hours)
All program admission requirements must be met before enrolling in the education core.
The faculty recommends students in the B.A. in Liberal Arts with Early Childhood Education Licensing to the Board of Trustees as candidates for graduation when they have completed the following requirements.
- Completion of a total of 120 credits, including all general education, liberal arts, prerequisite, professional core, and elective requirements.
- Passing score on the Colorado Department of Education required teacher licensing exam by March 1 prior to student teaching semester.
- A grade of D or higher in all CCU non-education coursework, and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher in all CCU coursework.
- Teacher candidates must earn a C- or higher in all education core courses, and must consistently demonstrate professional disposition qualities, knowledge and skills in all core courses and field studies.
- In Student Teaching teacher candidates must earn a grade of C or higher.
- Recommendation by the CAGS School of Education Professions Dean for Early Childhood Education Licensing by the Colorado Department of Education.
- Compliance with CAGS residency requirements .
- Formal and timely application for graduation by the date specified by the University Registrar.
- No outstanding financial obligations to the University.