Skip to Main Content
Navigated to CUS Academic Policies.

CUS Academic Policies

  • Registration

  • Residency Requirement

  • Non-Traditional Credit

  • Grading System

  • Academic Standing

  • Undergraduate Scholastic Honors/Commencement


Registration is held for the fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters at the times indicated in the academic calendar. Students are expected to register for courses for the fall and spring semesters until graduation. Deadlines for registration are listed online in the academic calendar and in the student handbook. Students are responsible for making themselves aware of all deadlines that apply to them. Regular deadline notifications are found in CCU Connect student portal announcements. Students who fail to register may be asked to move off campus based on the demand for campus housing. Students who are not enrolled for 365 days or more must apply for readmission and complete a degree program under the regulations published by the catalog that is in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Definition of a Credit Hour

The College of Undergraduate Studies (CUS) defines a credit hour using the Carnegie Unit measurement for student workload. The amount of work represented in student learning outcomes for one credit hour is not less than one in-class hour or direct faculty instruction AND two hours of out-of-class student work each week for 15 weeks, or the equivalent number of total hours if a course is shorter than 15 weeks. In a typical CUS semester of 16 weeks, a three-credit course will include a minimum of 45 hours of in-class or direct faculty instruction AND a minimum of 90 hours of out-of-class student work. Other academic activities that measure student workload tied to a credit hour, such as laboratory work, internships, and practica, also require the minimum total equivalent number of hours per credit earned.

Catalog as Guide and Agreement

The catalog provides students with the best information available concerning the University and its programs at the time of publication. While every effort is made to provide accurate and up to date information, the University reserves the right to change without notice statements in the catalog regarding policies, academic offerings, standards of conduct, and charges for tuition, fees, and room and board. Since the University continually modifies and improves the curriculum to meet the needs of students, the catalog serves not only as a guide, but as an agreement between the student and Colorado Christian University.

A student who enrolls in the University will be allowed to graduate under the academic program requirements in the catalog published at the time of his or her initial enrollment or selection of a major, as long as the student has maintained continuous enrollment. A student who has not been enrolled for 365 days must apply for readmission and complete a degree program under the regulations published in the catalog that is in effect at the time of re-enrollment. Policies and regulations published in the most recent catalog apply to all students regardless of what catalog their particular academic requirements come from.

Students enrolled under this catalog may be required to or choose to participate in activities with outside institutions, including (but not limited to) internships, practicums, clinicals, student teaching, and field experiences. In addition to requirements imposed by CCU on participants in these activities, outside institutions providing these activities may impose their own requirements and restrictions on student participants. Students are wholly and solely responsible for compliance with these requirements of outside institutions. Further, students acknowledge that CCU is in no way liable for negative impacts on a student's educational experience or progress due to a student's failure to comply with the requirements of an outside institution hosting required activities for CCU students.

Limits on Backward Progression

Students are not allowed to register or receive credit for any course that would be considered backward progression in a particular subject. For example, a student cannot complete a calculus course and then receive credit for college algebra or precalculus. For questions about which courses may be considered backward progression, please consult the university registrar. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the dean of the school the course is part of and the university registrar.

Limits on Traditional (CUS) Students Registering for College of Adult Studies (CAGS) Courses

Students at sophomore standing or higher who are completing a program as a traditional student within the College of Undergraduate Studies (CUS) may complete no more than fifteen (15) credits via courses offered through the College of Adult and Graduate Studies (CAGS) undergraduate program unless the student is enrolled in a CUS program that requires more than 15 credits through CAGS. Students completing programs in CUS should register for courses offered on the "Main Campus" (MC) that have section numbers in the 01, 02, 03, 04 series. Courses with section numbers such as 15001, A7001, etc. or with course numbers ending in "A" indicate an offering in the College of Adult and Graduate Studies. Students should work with their LDC advisor to understand which CUS requirements are met through CAGS courses. CUS students enrolled in CAGS courses follow the standards and expectations of the policies and procedures of the College of Adult and Graduate Studies.

CUS students are only allowed to take CAGS graduate courses that are specifically required by their program. Any additional graduate courses not required by the program require a special petition and approval from the CAGS dean.

Course Load

A normal course load is 12-18 hours of credit each semester for full-time students. Undergraduate students in the College of Undergraduate Studies averaging 15 hours per semester and following recommended sequencing of courses will usually be able to complete their programs within the time recommended. Select degree programs require more than 120 total credits and can require additional time. Late changes to major or adding multiple programs can also add extra requirements.

  • Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above may take a maximum of 21 credits per semester.

  • Students without a CCU GPA (new freshmen and transfer students) may take a maximum of 18 credits.

  • Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 to 3.49 may take a maximum of 18 credits per semester unless the student is on probation or conditionally admitted.

Credits past the normal course load (12-18 credits) have additional charges. Please reference the CUS financial aid web page for current tuition and fee information.

Classification of Students

Students are classified according to their objective, level, load, and progress.
Objective: A regular student is working toward a degree or certification and must meet all standard requirements for admission. A special student is not working toward a degree or certification but selects courses to meet personal interests.
Level: Students working toward an associate or bachelor's degree are classified as undergraduates.
Load: Undergraduate students taking 12 or more hours per semester are classified as full-time students; those taking 6-11 hours are classified as half-time students; and those taking 1-5 hours are classified as less than half-time students.
Progress: Student progress is reflected in the number of semester hours completed. A freshman has completed up to 29 hours; a sophomore, 30-59 hours; a junior, 60-89 hours; and a senior, 90 or more hours.

CUS students, in an effort to more efficiently track progress toward their degree, will be required to complete a Sophomore Review by registration in the spring of their sophomore year and a Graduation Application process by registration the semester before they plan to graduate. Students not completing either process may not be allowed to register for the next semester until this process is completed.

Cancellation of Courses

The University may cancel courses that do not meet minimum enrollment requirements. In the event of a cancellation, students may be allowed to take alternate courses or a directed study course to maintain normal progress toward graduation.

Academic Advising and Student Responsibility

After enrolling at CCU, CUS students are assigned a Life Directions Center (LDC) advisor who will provide academic, calling, and spiritual support until they complete their enrolled program. LDC advisors are available to advise students in course selection, degree completion, and other needs as they arise. However, knowledge and fulfillment of the requirements of a student's program(s), selecting courses, completing prerequisites, maintaining normal progress toward graduation and fulfilling graduation requirements are ultimately the student's responsibility.

The Writing Center

The Writing Center exists to help CCU students become better writers. It is staffed by English faculty whose professional focus is on composition. The faculty oversee upper-level English and communication major consultants who complete the Writing Center Theory and Practice course. The consultants are trained to address a wide variety of writing issues across the disciplines, working closely with faculty throughout the university. Students can contact the Writing Center at and can make appointments at


Student Success Services (SSS) at CCU offers free tutoring resources that provide assistance to current CUS students seeking to supplement classroom instruction to reach their educational goals. Students have access to Peer-to-Peer tutoring as well as 24/7 online academic support. Students can find current listings of courses being tutored and operation details by visiting the Life Directions Center websiteCCU Connect page, or by speaking with their LDC Advisor.

School of Education Policies

Students who seek to complete a School of Education (SoE) teacher licensure program are advised to review the additional academic policies for these programs. SoE academic policies may be found on the home page for the School of Education (CUS) in this catalog.

School of Nursing and Health Professions Policies

Students who seek to complete a School of Nursing and Health Professions (SNHP) Bachelor's in Nursing degree for RN licensure are advised to review the additional academic policies for this program. See the BSN Nursing Student Handbook.

Students who transfer credit from other institutions are not admitted to the BSN nursing program at CCU with Direct Admit status.

The BSN nursing program does not allow for the transfer of nursing courses. 

Adding and Dropping Courses

Students may add or drop courses online (using Student Planning) during add/drop periods or by consulting their Life Directions Center advisor. Deadlines for adding and dropping courses are listed in the CUS Academic Calendar and in the student handbook. Students are responsible for confirming course schedule changes made at the time of submission. Refunds are made on the basis of the schedule in the Financial Information section (CUS Financial InformationCAGS Financial Information) of this catalog. When students drop just one or two courses, refunds will only apply when the remaining credits are below the block tuition rates (12-18 hours) or a student drops a class in the overload category.

In the College of Undergraduate Studies, a grade of W (Withdraw) is assigned to courses dropped after the Wednesday of the second week of the fall and spring terms and before the thirteenth week. After the start of the thirteenth week, the grade earned is assigned. All course changes must be made with the Life Direction Center advisor's approval. Unless a course is officially dropped, charges will continue since the student remains enrolled. Students who initiate withdrawal from a course after the Add/Drop deadline (and before the Withdrawal deadline) will receive a grade of W (Withdrawn) and charges will remain on the student's account. Students who unofficially withdraw from a course after the Add/Drop deadline (and before the Withdrawal deadline) will receive a grade of FW (Unauthorized Withdrawal) and charges will remain on the student's account.

Students who are not registered for a course will not be permitted to attend classes or participate in academic coursework.

Change of Major and Catalog Year

Students who enroll in the University are allowed to graduate under the academic requirements in the catalog published at the time of their initial enrollment or selection of a major, as long as students have maintained continuous enrollment. Students who are not enrolled for more than 12 months must apply for readmission and complete a degree program under the regulations published in the catalog that is in effect at the time of re-enrollment. Students who change their major will complete the degree program under the catalog in effect at the time they changed their major. A change of program may occur during a semester if all courses the student is currently taking apply to the new program. Otherwise, the change of major will be made at the end of the semester. Please consult with your LDC Adviser for more details.

Minors and Cross Disciplinary Studies

Students may add a CUS minor, emphasis, or cross disciplinary study to any CUS bachelor's degree. When students declare a minor, emphasis, or cross disciplinary study, they must complete the full 18 (or more) credits required by the minor, and the full number of credits required by the emphasis or cross disciplinary study, and fulfill CCU's residency requirement. Up to 50% of coursework in the minor, emphasis, or cross disciplinary study may overlap other course requirements in the student's program. When there is a question of dual usage of a course above 50%, a course substitution must be approved by the dean of the program. Students may not declare a minor in the same discipline in which they are earning a major (for example, an English major and an English minor are prohibited).

Double Majors

To earn a second major, the student must complete all program requirements of the major. Within the second major, there must be a minimum of 30 non-duplicated credits. When there is a question of an overlapping course taking a major below 30 unique credit hours, a course substitution must be approved by the dean of the program so that there are 30 unique hours in each major.

Withdrawal from the University

Students contemplating withdrawal from the College of Undergraduate Studies should obtain instructions for completing a Withdrawal Form from their Life Directions Center advisor and ensure financial clearance from the Financial Aid office. They must also complete an exit survey with their Life Directions Center advisor. Students who withdraw from the University will receive refunds as outlined in the Financial Information section (CUS Financial InformationCAGS Financial Information) of this catalog. Completed and signed forms must be submitted to the Service Central office for processing.

Voluntary Hardship/Medical Withdrawal

If, on the advice of a physician or professional counselor, or due to a significant personal hardship, a student is unable to complete his or her course of study, the student may request to withdraw and possibly receive a prorated refund for tuition as well as room and board, if applicable. The student must provide written proof of his or her medical condition for medical withdrawal. Courses dropped under this condition will be assigned a grade of W. The voluntary hardship/medical withdrawal petition may be obtained from the student's Life Directions Center advisor.

Early Final Examinations

The final examinations for the College of Undergraduate Studies are given during the final week of each semester. A final examination schedule is published online each semester and is available at the time of registration. The professor of the academic course determines the most effective and appropriate assessment of course content, such as comprehensive examination, research project, oral presentation, or other performance-based demonstration. Students are required to attend the regularly scheduled course final for each class in which he or she is enrolled. If the professor requires an assessment activity at a different time or venue, this information will be included in the course syllabus and the student is required to attend. Under certain circumstances, individual students will be granted permission to reschedule a final examination or assessment activity through an application submitted to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The application form is available on the Office of Academic Affairs Connect page or from the student's Life Directions Center advisor.

Students may apply to reschedule a final examination when faced with an emergency situation, unforeseen circumstance, verifiable university-sponsored or approved events, and mission-sponsored or educational programs. A student who has three or more examinations scheduled on one day may apply to reschedule one exam at a later date. Travel convenience and personal vacation plans or commitments do not constitute reasons to reschedule.

Official Summons

In matters of vital importance to the student's relationship with the institution, an official summons for a conference may be originated by an administrative office or a faculty member. An official summons will be delivered in writing. A student who neglects or disregards an official summons for a conference may be subject to suspension.

Transfer of Credit

The University may accept transfer credit from other institutions and grant advanced standing to transfer students at its discretion. The student must have an official transcript sent to the Admissions Office or to Service Central. All transcripts evaluated for credit must be original official copies; photocopies, faxes, and PDFs forwarded by the student are not accepted. It is the student's responsibility to request that official transcripts be sent directly to Colorado Christian University.

The transfer evaluation process is typically completed within 15-20 business days after receipt of the official transcript. Courses that are evaluated as transferable toward CCU degree requirements will be listed on the student's progress report in Self-Service Advising indicating which CCU program requirements the transfer credit will satisfy. 

For credits to be accepted for transfer, a course must be assigned a grade of C- or better (for a majority of programs), must be transferred from an institution that is accredited either by a regional accrediting association or by a federally recognized national accrediting agency or association, and must be a relevant or equivalent course required for the student's program of study. Transferred courses of P (Pass) or S (Satisfactory) must be equivalent to a grade of C or better for nursing students, and C- or better for all other CUS programs. CUS does not accept ACE-recommended credit from programs such as Straighterline, Sophia, etc., unless specifically approved in the Non-Traditional Credit section below.

Certain degree programs, such as nursing and education, will have specific transfer equivalency requirements based on licensure standards. For nursing students, all transfer credits must have a grade of C or better.  For nursing students, CCU will only accept science courses in transfer that have been taken at a regionally or nationally accredited institution. Nursing science credit transferred to meet major pre-requisite course requirements must have been completed within five years of acceptance for admission to CCU. Science transfer credit will not be accepted from non-traditional academic sources such as ACE-recommended organizations (for example, Straighterline). It is recommended that all science coursework be earned post-high school graduation for transfer to the CCU nursing program. Students who transfer credit from other institutions will be evaluated on a case by case basis and may be admitted to the BSN nursing program at CCU with Direct Admit status. Students applying to the BSN program and transferring in nursing courses from another institution will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

The University will accept credits, but not grades, in transfer; thus, transfer grades will not be figured into the student's CCU grade point average. Credit from unaccredited institutions will be accepted only when the Registrar and the Vice President of Academic Affairs have approved a transfer agreement with such an institution, and in no case will more than 30 credits be transferred from these institutions. Students transferring credit must fulfill the CCU Residency Requirement as stated below.

International students may transfer credit from international institutions by validating their coursework through a credential evaluation service such as World Education Services Inc. in New York or another CCU-approved agency. (For a complete list of agencies, please visit the International Education Evaluation page.) Additional information is available from the International Student Services Coordinator in the Life Directions Center.

The evaluation of previous postsecondary education and training is mandatory and required for VA beneficiaries.  For students utilizing Veterans benefits who are approved for transfer credit as a result of this evaluation, the institution will grant appropriate credit, reduce the program length proportionately, notify the student and Veterans Affairs in writing of this decision, and adjust invoicing of the VA accordingly.

Certain courses at CCU are designated as "protected" courses and must be completed at CCU's College of Undergraduate Studies due to the unique nature and content of the course provided by CUS. A list of these courses is available from Service Central or the Life Directions Center. Transfer coursework, AP/CLEP exams, dual credit coursework, etc., will not be accepted for these courses, but may be accepted as general elective credit, if applicable. 

Residency Requirement

To earn a Colorado Christian University undergraduate degree, the following semester hours must be earned through CCU:

  • A minimum of 30 semester credits.

  • Within a major

    • At least 50% of the course requirements in the major field.

    • At least 12 upper-level (300 or 400 level) semester hours.

  • Within a minor

    • At least 50% of the course requirements in the minor field.

  • Within a cross disciplinary study

    • At least 75% of the course requirements in the cross disciplinary field

  • Within a certificate 

    • 75% of the program requirements.    

  • Within an emphasis

    • There is no residency requirement specific to an emphasis attached to a major

The residency requirements for the program are unique to these programs. Please refer to the program page for additional information.

Students are not required to be enrolled in order to graduate, but must submit final transfer credit to fulfill degree requirements within one (1) year of their enrollment at CCU (see Readmission Policies for additional information regarding students returning to complete a degree). A Graduation Application must be submitted by registration the semester before the student plans to graduate.

Non-Traditional Credit

Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

A high school graduate who has taken the Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations conducted by the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) and who has passed with a score of 4 or 5 may receive University credit. Credit awarded will be treated as test credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. Additional information about applying AP credit may be obtained from the Admission Office or a student's Life Directions Center advisor. Students planning on doing post-graduate work after CCU should also consult their potential graduate or medical schools to obtain information as to whether or not they will accept AP credit for prerequisite requirements. CCU acceptance of AP credit for an undergraduate degree is no guarantee that graduate or medical schools will accept AP credit for prerequisite requirements.

Dual Credit

Dual credit coursework is high school credit taught at the college level and may be transferred to CCU to fulfill graduation requirements as applicable. Dual credit taken through CCU's partner dual credit high school programs is considered CCU credit and can be used to satisfy residency requirements. Additionally, grades earned for dual credit taken through CCU's partner high school programs will apply toward the student's CCU GPA. Dual credit coursework is generally used to fulfill general education core requirements and not major degree course requirements. CCU's acceptance of dual credit for an undergraduate degree is no guarantee that graduate or medical schools will accept dual credit for prerequisite requirements.

Armed Forces Educational Credit

Veterans may receive undergraduate credit for Basic Training and other formal educational experience gained while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Basic Training is credited as physical education. Credit awarded will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. Veterans must submit an original of their Joint Services Transcript (JST) or other documentation of their experience to receive credit. To evaluate credit, the University uses the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.

College-Level Examinations Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) Testing Policy

Colorado Christian University will accept applicable credits for students who score at or above CCU-established levels on specified CLEP and DSST tests. Scores for granting credit are determined by the CCU Dean's Council, with consideration given to the recommended scores by the American Council on Education (ACE). Petitions to accept scores below the ACE recommended scores will not be entertained by CCU administration. Credit received will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. For CUS students, please contact the LDC for Information about CLEP and DSST equivalency information and restrictions. For CAGS students, please contact your SSA for your program's equivalency and restriction information.

CCU does not offer CLEP/DSST testing on campus, but the LDC can provide information on local testing centers.

The following conditions apply for CLEP/DSST tests:

  • A student may not receive credit by examination for a course in which he or she has been registered at CCU and received a D, F, FX, FW, NC, W, WF, NR, CIP, or Incomplete.

  • A student may earn a maximum of 45 credit hours by examination.

  • Exam credits will not apply to the residency requirements for graduation.

  • A CCU student  (CUS and CAGS) may not receive credit by examination for a subject in which the student is currently attending or has already successfully completed a higher-level course or test. For example, a student may not receive credit for Beginning Spanish Level II, and then receive credit for a subsequently taken test in Beginning Spanish Level I. In other words, there must be an upward educational progression in courses that are considered sequential in nature.

  • A student may not receive credit for an examination after already receiving credit for the completion of an equivalent course or test. For example, a student may not receive credit for a standard, classroom-type English Composition course and then receive credit for a CLEP test for English Composition. This policy is intended to prevent duplicate credit for specific courses, not general areas of study.

  • Nursing students cannot receive credit at CCU for science exams. 

International Baccalaureate

Students who have participated in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in high school may be able to receive undergraduate credit for higher-level courses with scores of 5 or higher, depending on their chosen major. Information regarding score requirements and application of coursework toward a student's degree may be obtained from the Life Directions Center.

Independent and Directed Study

Independent or directed studies may be available, with approval, to students upon request or upon institutional need. The Independent/Directed Study form must be completed before the student can register or add the course, and the student must complete registration before the add deadline.

An independent study is intended to provide the student with an opportunity to investigate an area of academic interest not available through the regular curriculum. The investigation may include a planned program of readings or may involve research in some aspect of science. Independent studies are available to juniors or seniors with a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

directed study is a regular course offered based on institutional need or to assist a student in maintaining adequate progress toward completion of their degree. Directed studies are available to juniors or seniors whose cumulative GPA meets their program GPA requirements. The studies require periodic conferences between the student and the instructor.

Before the student registers for an independent or directed study, conference times that are mutually agreeable to the student and the instructor should be arranged. The conferences provide an evaluation of the student's progress in the study. A paper describing the student's findings is ordinarily required at the conclusion of the study. An independent or directed study must be concluded within the semester. Enrollment requires the approval of the dean or director under whose department the course is offered.

Internship, Field Experience, Practicum, Thesis

Internships are available to juniors and seniors; a sophomore may enroll for an internship only with the approval of the dean. Some internships may be graded traditionally and some are graded pass/fail. Consult the course description for the specific grading used for each course. Field experience does not extend beyond a regular semester. A practicum, thesis, or internship may extend beyond a regular semester as long as the specific dates are given on the Course Extension form. A grade of I (Incomplete) will be assigned during the extension period, which is reflected by a CIP (Course in Progress) on the student's transcript. A field experience, practicum, or thesis is graded on the standard A-F grading scale. Requirements for these courses are outlined in the course syllabus and students are closely supervised by University faculty.

Teaching Assistantship Credit (CUS)

In the College of Undergraduate Studies, students with at least a junior standing and a GPA of 3.0 in their major may, by faculty invitation, become a teaching assistant (TA) for a course. Students who are considered for a TA position must have completed the course for which they will be a TA. When the student declines to receive credit for this work, TAs will not receive credit for the course or section for which they are a TA and will not be paid. The Teaching Assistantship will be listed on the student's transcript as 0 or 1 credit and is graded as Pass/Fail. A student may be a TA (0 or 1 credit) for a maximum of two courses or two sections of the same course per semester. They may receive a maximum of four TA credits toward the bachelor's degree. TA responsibilities may include activities such as: assisting the supervising faculty in preparation of lectures; presenting course material to a class while the faculty member of record is in attendance; grading objective tests and examinations; posting grades in a learning management system, e.g. Blackboard; proctoring exams; videotaping presentations; helping students research a topic for a paper and/or presentation. TA's may not grade essays, term papers, or other non-objective assignments. Most majors restrict the use of Teaching Assistantship credit to satisfy major course requirements. TA credit is a billable credit as established by University policy.

Co-Curricular Credit (CUS)

Elective credit may be earned for various co-curricular activities, including intercollegiate athletics, student government, theatre, and musical ensembles. No more than 10 hours of co-curricular credit will count toward a degree program. Some school departments may restrict co-curricular credits. See the dean of the particular school for details. Training and participation in varsity intercollegiate team sports may be taken for credit only once per academic year per varsity sport. A maximum of 4 semester hours per sport may be counted toward graduation requirements.

Technical Credit

Technical credit is defined as vocational and occupational, but not professional in nature. Examples of technical credit are electronics, cosmetology, dental assisting, auto body repair, munitions, welding, and paraprofessional healthcare. Technical credit may not be used to meet general education requirements but may be used to fulfill elective requirements. A student may transfer a maximum of 30 hours of elective credit in technical courses toward a bachelor's degree. Nursing students are not eligible to transfer any technical credit.

Physical Education Credit

A student may apply a maximum of seven hours of elective credit in physical education activity courses toward a bachelor's degree. Activity courses include varsity sports, fitness for life, and sports courses, e.g., skiing. Military basic training is also transferred in as physical education credit.

Grading System

The University uses a four-point system to calculate semester and cumulative GPAs.

Grading System with Honor Points

Letter (Honor) Points


Quality Points






exceptional quality












commendable quality












acceptable quality












below average passing




no credit for CCU program requirements



Below 60%

failing, no credit

Please refer to individual academic program requirements for the minimum grade acceptable for graduation.

Nursing Grade Scale and Chart of Percentages

For students enrolled in the nursing program, the Nursing School grade scale replaces the University grade scale.


Quality Points






exceptional quality












commendable quality












acceptable quality




no credit for nursing program requirements















Below 64%

failing, no credit

Grading System with NO Honor Points


AU - Audit
I - Incomplete
CIP - Course In Progress
NC - No Credit
P - Pass (indicates grade of C or better)
FX - Administrative Failing
W - Withdrawal
FW - Failing Withdrawal
NR - No Report

Audit (AU)

Students may not audit courses in the College of Undergraduate Studies.

Incomplete (I)

Students unable to complete a course for reasons beyond their control may request an incomplete grade prior to the end date of the course. Every student petitioning for an incomplete must complete a Course Extension Form. The course instructor and the dean must approve the extension, and the instructor must assign a new due date. Extensions may not exceed 120 days after the last class day of the semester for which the extension is granted.

Once an extension is granted, a CIP (course in progress) is recorded on the student's transcript. At the end of the extension, a grade reflecting the work completed will replace the I (incomplete). Failure on the part of the student to complete the required coursework in the allotted time will result in an automatic failure of the coursework, which may result in a failure of the course. Students may, however, petition the previously mentioned academic administrators for an additional extension before his/her first extension expires.

Course In Progress (CIP)

A final grade has not yet been posted.

No Credit (NC)

An NC is assigned to courses when a student does not earn college credit for a course.

Pass (P) and Fail (F)

Certain courses are designated Pass/Fail. A passing grade awards credit but does not impact the student's GPA. A passing grade indicates a grade of C or better. A failing grade does not award credit but does impact the student's GPA.

Administrative Failing (FX)

Instructor or administrator initiated failing grade at any time for reasons other than poor grade performance, such as violation of academic integrity, the student code of conduct, and/or disruptive behavior. May be used for failure to meet attendance requirements per established guidelines. The FX may also be posted for unsafe or unsatisfactory performance in a lab, clinic, practicum, or internship, in accordance with published criteria and procedures. The FX is calculated in the student's GPA as an F. The FX will not be used for poor grade performance.

Withdrawal (W)

W is assigned when a student voluntarily initiates withdrawal from a class after Wednesday of the second week of class (in the fall and spring terms) and before the thirteenth week. In cases of withdrawal after the start of the thirteenth week, the grade earned is assigned. W is also assigned when a student has been granted voluntary hardship/medical withdrawal from the University or from a specific course. Courses assigned a grade of F or FW due to withdrawal are counted in grade point calculations; those assigned a grade of W are not counted, but may still be included in financial aid and VA benefits calculations, and conditional and probationary academic standing.

Failing Withdrawal (FW)

An FW is an unauthorized withdrawal and will be assigned to the student who did not officially withdraw from the course and failed to complete course requirements prior to the thirteenth week. In cases of an unauthorized withdrawal after the start of the thirteenth week, the grade earned is assigned. For purposes of the grade point average and satisfactory academic progress, the FW is equivalent to an F and is included in the cumulative grade point average.

No Report (NR)

NR is assigned when no grade is submitted for a registered student. A grade of NR does not factor into grade point calculations.

Repeat Privileges

Students may repeat any course in which a grade of B or lower was earned. Nursing students may only repeat a nursing major course if it is not passed successfully on the first attempt. When the course is repeated, both courses and their grades are shown on the transcript, but only the last grade received will be used in calculating the cumulative grade-point average and applicable credits. If the same grade is earned twice, only one grade will be used to calculate the GPA. The student must pay full tuition for repeated courses. Students are only allowed to repeat a course one time (grades of W/FW do not apply to this count). To take a course for a third time, a petition for academic exception should be completed noting changes that will be made so the student can complete the course successfully. There are occasional exceptions for CCU dual credit students who may want to repeat a course with a grade of B+ or higher because of length of time between that high school course and a further prerequisite in college or for graduate or medical school purposes. A student's LDC advisor and the CCU Registrar will decide when this exception can be approved. When approved, the repeated course will replace the dual credit course.

For the financial aid implications of repeated courses, please see CUS Financial Information. Additionally, this policy does not apply to courses that are designated as repeatable. Repeatable courses can be used to earn credits in multiple semesters, and therefore, the grades earned cannot be replaced. Examples of designated repeatable courses include select music courses (i.e., lessons, ensembles, etc.) as well as internships and HPE credits.

Change of Grades

Requests for grade changes must be submitted by the assigning faculty member by the end of the semester after the course was taken. Only when an extension request is submitted prior to the completion of the course and grades of "Incomplete" have been given is a student permitted to complete any work after the semester in which the course was taken. The University Registrar must approve any exceptions.


Students are required to abide by the attendance policies stated in each course syllabus. Each course should have a stated number of allowed absences. The University considers absences excused if:

  • There is a legitimate personal or immediate family illness (nurse or physician's written notification is required).

  • The absence is a result of a formal, required curricular activity (e.g. field trip for another course) or a co-curricular assignment that the student must attend (e.g. intercollegiate athletic competition). The Co-curricular Director, and the Curricular Instructor (coach, Athletic Director, professor of the course involved), will affirm by memorandum that the absence is excused.

  • Job conflicts are not an excused absence, except in the case of military deployment or assignment.

  • Students who have legitimate excused absences as defined above are allowed to make up assignments without penalty. Arrangements should be made with the professor either prior to the planned absence or immediately following an absence due to illness. Absences in excess of the allowed absences in each course will result in a reduction of grade as determined by the course professor and as noted in the syllabus.

Student Academic Appeals

The process for students to appeal grades:

  1. The student will request in writing that the faculty member reconsider the grade that was given;

  2. The student may appeal in writing to the dean of the appropriate school before the end of the semester following the one in which the grade was assigned;

  3. Within 10 days of the dean's decision, the student may submit a written appeal of the dean's decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

The process for students to appeal other academic decisions:

  1. The student will submit a written appeal to the dean of the appropriate school before the end of the semester following the one in which the decision was made;

  2. Within 10 days of the dean's decision, the student may submit a written appeal of the dean's decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Academic Standing

Required Cumulative
and Semester GPA

CUS Programs (Non-Nursing)

CUS Nursing Program

Regular Standing



  1. Regular Standing:

    1. A student is considered to be in good standing if he or she has a cumulative 2.0 grade point average (or higher) and is showing satisfactory academic progress.

    2. A nursing student is considered to be in good standing if he or she has a cumulative 3.0 grade point average (or higher) and is showing satisfactory academic progress.

  2. Academic Probation:

    1. A student who has completed 6 graded credits at CCU is placed on academic probation if his or her semester GPA is below the student's academic program requirements (see chart above).

    2. If the student's probationary semester GPA is above the academic program requirements, but the cumulative GPA is still below the academic program requirements, the student will remain on academic probation.

    3. Students will be suspended after a probationary semester if their term GPA is below their academic program requirements and/or they have more than one grade below a C- (including W, FX, and FW).

    4. If the student's probationary semester GPA is at their academic program requirement or higher and their cumulative GPA is at their academic program requirement or higher, they will return to regular standing. 

    5. Students on academic probation are ineligible for certain activities and programs. See statement on "Conditions of Academic Probation"

    6. Entering students who are conditionally admitted (CAD) are on academic probation and therefore will abide by the following guidelines in their first CCU semester:

      1. Limited to enrolling in 12-13 hours of credit.

      2. Register for a 1-credit Student Success course (fall) or attend applicable group Student Success meeting(s) and adhere to an Accountability Contract (spring). 

      3. Must earn a 2.0 or above grade point average. (Nursing students must earn a 3.0 or above grade point average.)

      4. Must not receive more than one grade below a C- (including W, FX, and FW).

      5. For further information, see the Conditional Admittance policy found on the CUS Admission Information page.

      6. Failure to fulfill these requirements will result in academic suspension for the next semester. Please see suspension process below for further information. Conditionally admitted students who are academically suspended have the right to appeal their suspension; however, please note that if a student has multiple grades below a C- (including W, FX, and FW) within that first semester, it is not likely that an appeal would be accepted. (Approved Hardship/Medical withdrawals are evaluated individually to determine whether or not a student would be suspended.)

  3. Conditions of Academic Probation: Certain restrictions and expectations are a part of academic probation. The purpose is to provide students with opportunities to improve their academic performance. Noncompliance is taken seriously because the conditions of Academic Probation exist to help students identify and solve their academic struggles. CCU reserves the right to respond to noncompliance in various ways including but not limited to: a) email and phone invitation for a meeting from the LDC advisor, b) a student summons to meet with the LDC Student Success Coordinator, c) a notification letter sent to a student's parent or guardian, or d) an immediate academic suspension. It is at the discretion of the LDC to determine whether or not to respond to noncompliance. The main responsibility is on the student to know and comply with the restrictions and expectations of academic probation. Students are ultimately responsible for their own success or failure during their semester of academic probation and face suspension if their grades do not meet the stated requirements to either return to good standing or remain on probation for an additional semester. Students on academic probation must:

    • Commit to an Accountability Contract with their LDC Advisor within 2 weeks of the start of the semester.

    • Fulfill the requirements set forth in the Accountability Contract.

    • Attend the weekly SUCCESS study hall and any additional Student Success meeting(s).

    • Register for a maximum academic load of 13 semester hours.

    • Receive no more than one grade below a C- (including W, FX, and FW).

    • Understand that in many cases they are not eligible to run for student body offices or hold leadership positions unless it is part of a class requirement.

    • Participate in no study abroad programs.

    • Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how their financial aid is affected by their academic status.

Students who participate in intercollegiate athletics must meet not only CCU eligibility standards but also CCU Athletics standards and NCAA eligibility standards. See Athletic Director for additional information.

  1. Academic Suspension:

    1. A student on academic probation will be academically suspended at the end of the semester if the student's semester GPA is below 2.0 or they receive more than one grade below a C- (including W, FX, and FW). (Approved Voluntary Hardship/Medical withdrawals are evaluated individually to determine whether or not a student would be suspended.)

    2. Academically suspended students will be notified as soon as possible after the end of the term. They will also be given information concerning the appeal process and potential future reinstatement process.

  2. Suspension Appeals:

    1. Students are given the opportunity to appeal an academic suspension if there were mitigating circumstances that directly affected their academic performance; however, if a student has multiple grades below a C- (including W, FX, and FW) within the semester, the acceptance of an appeal is unlikely. 

    2. Appeals will be reviewed by the Academic Review Committee which consists of the Deans Council, the Life Directions Center Director, and Life Directions Center Coordinator of Student Success Services. The Academic Review Committee may also require the student's attendance at a hearing.

    3. A well written and grammatically correct appeal is required. Appeals should address:

      1. An explanation of why academic efforts were unsuccessful

      2. Reasons for wishing to remain enrolled at Colorado Christian University

      3. Changes the student will make and a plan for future success

    4. A student whose appeal is accepted will be on academic probation and must follow the probationary guidelines described above. Students who withdraw in the middle of the term while on post-suspension probation nullify their probation and will be placed back on suspension status.

  3. Reinstatement following Academic Suspension: A student who decides not to appeal their academic suspension or whose appeal is denied may be considered for reinstatement at CCU when the following guidelines are accomplished.

    1. Student has successfully completed 12 credits in a semester or summer at an accredited college or university and received a grade of C or better in all 12 credits. Attention will be given to the type of courses taken so students are advised to take courses of strong academic rigor.

    2. The student should submit an official transcript and letter requesting reinstatement to the Director of the Life Directions Center. The letter should include:

      1. An explanation of why previous academic efforts at CCU were unsuccessful.

      2. What changes the student made in habits, learning, lifestyle, etc. that made the semester away from CCU successful.

      3. And how the student plans to maintain academic progress.

The reinstatement request deadline is two weeks prior to the start of the semester.

  1. The request will be reviewed and, if accepted, the student will be notified. If the student has been gone for more than 12 months and needs to re-enroll, the student will be cleared to contact Admissions for re-enrollment.

  2. Any disciplinary issues pending at the time the student was academically suspended will be addressed with the student before he or she is cleared for re-enrollment. 

  3. In response to the Reinstatement request, The Director of the Life Directions Center may:

    1. Act to reinstate the student.

    2. Deny readmission.

    3. May set conditions to be met before a second appeal will be considered. A second appeal will only be considered if the student has met set conditions or has new information to present.

  4. A student who is reinstated from suspension will remain on academic probation until a 2.0 cumulative grade point average is achieved. 

Undergraduate Scholastic Honors/Commencement

Dean's List

To encourage academic excellence and progress, full-time undergraduate students who earn a semester GPA of 3.7 or better are recognized by placement on the Dean's List.

Latin Laude Honors

Because spring semester grades are due after the commencement ceremony, for the purposes of the May commencement ceremony, all honors and awards will be based on the calculations of the previous fall term records. Final honors and awards will be posted on students' transcripts and diplomas at the time that they complete their degree requirements and will be based on the final cumulative grade point average.

Undergraduate students earning a bachelor's degree who have completed at least 60 semester hours of credit at Colorado Christian University may be eligible for Laude Honors. To achieve Laude Honors at the commencement ceremony, students must have the following minimum cumulative GPAs at the beginning of their final semester of study: Cum Laude (with honor), 3.5; Magna Cum Laude (with high honor), 3.7; Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor), 3.9.

University Honors

Undergraduate students earning a bachelor's degree who have completed less than 60 semester hours of credit at Colorado Christian University may be eligible for University Honors. To achieve University Honors at graduation, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better while attending Colorado Christian University.


Students are expected to work with their LDC advisor and file a Graduation Application by registration the semester before they plan to graduate.

Commencement Participation

Students who anticipate earning required credits by taking CLEP or DSST exams must complete these tests and have the test transcripts submitted no later than registration their final semester to have the test results count toward fulfillment of their degree requirements and participate in Commencement. Students are normally expected to complete all requirements toward fulfillment of their degree prior to participating in commencement.

Because there is only one commencement ceremony per year, CCU will make an exception to this policy under the following conditions:

1. An undergraduate student who has no more than 6 credits of work outstanding or no more than student teaching remaining and is registered to complete those credits in the upcoming summer or fall semester.
2. A graduate student who has no more than 6 credits of work outstanding.

Students are expected to have all financial obligations owed to the University paid in full prior to participating in commencement. Effective with the 2019-20 catalog year, CUS students wishing to walk during the commencement ceremony must have 90% of their required chapel credits accomplished: 162 for a student at CCU for four years, 121 for a student at CCU for three years, 82 for a student at CCU for two years. A student who is short of the 90% threshold will not be able to participate in commencement exercises.