Academic Catalog 2009-2010 
    Jun 01, 2023  
Academic Catalog 2009-2010 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies

Click on any link below for more information



The University operates on the semester system and has fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters. The Carnegie Unit of Credit is the semester hour, which represents 15, 50-minute class sessions or its equivalent in accelerated undergraduate and graduate programs.

Registration is held for the fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters at the times indicated in the academic calendar. Students are expected to register for courses for the fall and spring semesters until graduation. Deadlines for registration are listed online in the academic calendar and in the student handbook. Students are responsible for making themselves aware of all deadlines that apply to them. Regular e-mail bulletins related to registration and other deadlines will be sent via campus Daily E-News. Students who fail to register may be asked to move off campus based on the demand for campus housing. Students who are not enrolled for 12 months must apply for readmission and complete a degree program under the regulations published by the catalog that is in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Catalog as Guide and Agreement

The catalog provides students with the best information available concerning the University and its programs at the time of publication. While every effort is made to provide accurate and up to date information, the University reserves the right to change without notice statements in the catalog regarding policies, academic offerings, standards of conduct, and charges for tuition, fees, and room and board. Since the University continually modifies and improves the curriculum to meet the needs of students, the catalog serves not only as a guide, but as an agreement between the student and Colorado Christian University. A student who enrolls in the University will be allowed to graduate under the policies in the catalog published at the time of his or her initial enrollment or selection of a major, as long as the student has maintained continuous enrollment. A student who has not been enrolled for 366 days must apply for readmission and complete a degree program under the regulations published in the catalog that is in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Limits on Traditional (CUS) Students Registering for College of Adult Studies (CAGS) Courses

Students at sophomore standing or higher, who are completing a program as a traditional student within the College of Undergraduate Studies (CUS) may complete no more than six (6) credits via courses offered through the College of Adult and Graduate Studies (CAGS). Freshmen may not register for any courses offered through the College of Adult and Graduate Studies. Students active in the College of Undergraduate Studies should register for courses offered on the “Main Campus” that have section numbers in the 01, 02, 03, 04.. series. Courses with section numbers such as LK21, ON21, etc. indicate an offering in the College of Adult and Graduate Studies. CAGS courses are also found by searching “Locations” such as Lakewood, Online, etc.

Course Load

A normal course load is 12-17 hours of credit each semester for full-time students. Undergraduate students in the College of Undergraduate Studies averaging 16 hours per semester will usually be able to complete their programs within the time recommended. Seniors and students with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above may take a maximum of 20 credits per semester. Students with less than senior standing and a cumulative GPA of 2.50 to 3.49 may take a maximum of 18 credits per semester. Credits past normal course load (12-17 credits) have additional charges. Please reference tuition fees online under the Service Central link. Students with less than senior standing and a cumulative GPA of 2.00 to 2.49 may take a maximum of 16 credits per semester.

Classification of Students

Students are classified according to their objective, level, load, and progress. Objective: A regular student is working toward a degree or certification and must meet all standard requirements for admission. A special student is not working toward a degree or certification, but selects courses to meet personal interests. Level: Students working toward an associate or bachelor degree, or a certification, are classified as undergraduates. Load: Undergraduate students taking 12 or more hours per semester are classified as full-time students; those taking 6-11 hours are classified as part-time students; and those taking 0-5 hours are classified as less than part-time students. Progress: Student progress is reflected in the number of semester hours completed. A freshman has completed up to 29 hours; a sophomore, 30-59 hours; a junior, 60-89 hours; and a senior, 90 or more hours. CUS students, in an effort to more efficiently track progress toward their degree, will be required to complete the Graduation Application process by the end of the semester in which they complete 90 semester hours (end of the Jr. year). Students not completing this process will not be allowed to register for the next semester until this process is completed.

Cancellation of Courses

The University may cancel courses that do not meet minimum enrollment requirements. In the event of a cancellation, students may be allowed to take alternate courses or a directed study course to maintain normal progress toward graduation.

Academic Advising and Student Responsibility

Upon enrollment at CCU, a student is assigned a Life Directions Center Advisor who will provide academic, career and spiritual support until they complete their enrolled program. Life Directions Center Advisors are available to advise students in course selection, degree completion, and other needs as they arise. However, selecting courses, maintaining normal progress toward graduation and fulfilling graduation requirements are ultimately the student’s responsibility.

Adding and Dropping Courses

Students may add or drop courses online during add/drop periods or by consulting his/her Life Directions Center Advisor and completing a form available from the Service Central Office. Deadlines for adding and dropping courses are listed in the academic calendar or in student handbooks. Refunds are made on the basis of the schedule in the Financial Information section (College of Undergraduate Studies ; College of Adult and Graduate Studies ) of this catalog. Please also note that refunds only apply when remaining credits are below the block tuition rates (12-17 hours) or a student drops a class in the overload category. In the College of Undergraduate Studies, a grade of W (Withdraw) is assigned to courses dropped after Wednesday of the second week of the fall and spring terms and before the 11th week. After the start of the eleventh week, a grade of F (Failing) is assigned. All course changes must be made with the Life Direction Center Advisor’s approval. Unless a course is officially dropped, charges will continue since the student remains enrolled. Students who drop a course after the deadline will receive a grade of W (Withdrawn) and charges will remain on the student’s account.

Withdrawal from the University

Students contemplating withdrawal from the College of Undergraduate Studies should obtain a Withdrawal Form from his/her Life Directions Center Advisor and ensure financial clearance from the Service Central Office. They must also complete an exit interview with his/her Life Directions Center Advisor. Students who withdraw from the university will receive refunds as outlined in the Financial Information section (College of Undergraduate Studies ; College of Adult and Graduate Studies ) of this catalog. Completed and signed forms must be submitted to the Service Central Office for processing.

Medical Withdrawal

If, on the advice of a physician or professional counselor, a student is unable to complete his or her course of study, the student may withdraw and receive a prorated refund for tuition as well as room and board, if applicable. The student must provide written proof of his or her medical condition for medical withdrawal. Courses dropped under this condition will be assigned a grade of W. The medical withdrawal petition may be obtained from the student’s Life Directions Center Advisor.

Early Final Examinations

The final examinations for the College of Undergraduate Studies are given the final week of each semester. A final examination schedule is published online each semester and is available at the time of registration. The professor of the academic course determines the most effective and appropriate assessment of course content, such as comprehensive examination, research project, oral presentation, or other performance-based demonstration. Students are required to attend the regularly scheduled course final for each class in which he or she is enrolled. If the professor requires an assessment activity at a different time or venue, this information will be included in the course syllabus and the student is required to attend. Under certain circumstances individual students will be granted permission to reschedule a final examination or assessment activity through an application submitted to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The application form is available on the Service Central website or from his/her Life Directions Center Advisor.

Students may apply to reschedule a final examination when faced with an emergency situation, unforeseen circumstance, verifiable university-sponsored or approved events, and mission-sponsored or educational programs. Also, a student who has three or more examinations scheduled on one day may apply to reschedule one exam at a later date. Travel convenience, personal vacation plans or commitments do not constitute reasons to reschedule.

Official Summons

In matters of vital importance to the student’s relationship with the institution, an official summons for conference may be originated by an administrative office or a faculty member. An official summons will be delivered in writing. A student who neglects or disregards an official summons for a conference may be subject to suspension.

Transfer of Credit

The University may accept transfer credit from other institutions and grant advanced standing to transfer students at its discretion. The student must have an official transcript sent to the Admission Office or Service Central Office. For credits to be accepted for transfer, a course must be assigned a grade of C- or better, must be transferred from an institution that is accredited either by a regional accrediting association or by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association, such as the Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), and must be a relevant or equivalent course required for the student’s program of study. Computer Science credits must have been completed within 5 years of acceptance for admission to CCU. Decisions about transfer credits are based on official transcripts only, and it is the student’s responsibility to request that official transcripts be sent to Colorado Christian University. The University will accept credits, but not grades, in transfer; thus, transfer grades will not be figured into the student’s CCU grade point average. Credit from unaccredited institutions will be accepted only when the Registrar and the Vice President of Academic Affairs has approved a transfer agreement with such an institution, and in no case will more than 30 credits be transferred from these institutions. Students transferring credit must fulfill the CCU Residency Requirement as stated below.

International students may transfer credit from international institutions by validating their course work through a credential evaluation service such as World Education Services Inc. in New York or another CCU approved agency. Additional information is available from the International Student Coordinator in the Life Directions Center.

Veterans must submit a certified original of their DD-214, an ARTS/ACE transcript, or other documentation of their experience to receive credit.

Residency Requirement

To earn a Colorado Christian University undergraduate degree, the following semester hours must be earned through CCU:

  • A minimum of 32 semester credits.
  • Within a major
    • At least 50% of the course requirements in the major field.
    • At least 12 upper division (300 or 400 level) semester hours.
  • Within a minor
    • At least 50% of the course requirements in the minor field.

Students are not required to be enrolled in order to graduate, but must submit final transfer credit to fulfill degree requirements within one (1) year of their enrollment at CCU (see Readmission Policies for additional information regarding students returning to complete a degree). A Graduation Application must be submitted upon completion of 92 credit hours or by the end of the second week of class during the semester in which the student plans to graduate.

Non-traditional Credit


Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

A high school graduate who has taken the Advanced Placement Examinations conducted by the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) and who has passed with a score of 3, 4 or 5 may receive university credit. Credit awarded will be treated as test credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. Additional information about applying AP credit may be obtained from the Admission Office, Service Central Office or a student’s Life Directions Center Advisor.

Armed Forces Educational Credit

Veterans may receive undergraduate credit for Basic Training and other formal educational experience gained while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Basic Training is credited as physical education. Credit awarded will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. Veterans must submit an original of their ARTS transcript or other documentation of their experience to receive credit. To evaluate credit, the University uses the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. College of Undergraduate Studies students should contact the Service Central office for more information.

College-Level Examinations Program (CLEP) and DSST Prior Learning Assessment Testing Policy

Colorado Christian University will accept credit as applicable in any program for students who score at or above established levels on many College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DSST Prior Learing Assessment tests. Cut-off scores for granting credit will be those scores recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Credit received will be treated as test credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. Information about specific CLEP and DSST tests, equivalent courses, and scores may be obtained from the Life Directions Center .

The following conditions apply for CLEP/DSST tests:

  1. A student may not receive credit by examination for a course in which he or she has been registered at CCU and received a D, F, NC, W, or Incomplete.
  2. A student may earn a maximum of 45 credit hours by examination.
  3. Exam credits will not apply to the residency requirements for graduation.
  4. A College of Undergraduate Studies student may not receive credit by examination for a subject in which the student has already successfully completed a higher-level course or test. For example, a student may not receive credit for Beginning Spanish level II, and then receive credit for a subsequently taken test in Beginning Spanish level I. There must be an upward educational progression in courses that are considered sequential in nature.
  5. A student may not receive credit for an examination after already receiving credit for completion of an equivalent course or test. For example, a student may not receive credit for a standard, classroom-type English Composition course and then receive credit for a CLEP test for English Composition. This policy is intended to prevent duplicate credit for specific courses, not general areas of study.
  6. A student must pay any special exam fees prior to taking the exam.

International Baccalaureate

Students who have participated in the International Baccalaureate Program in high school may be able to receive undergraduate credit for higher-level courses with scores of 4 or higher, depending on their chosen major. Information regarding score requirements and application of course work toward a student’s degree may be obtained from the Service Central Office or in the Life Directions Center.

Independent and Directed Study

Independent or directed studies may be available, with approval, to students upon request or upon institutional need.

An independent study is intended to provide the student with an opportunity to investigate an area of academic interest not available through the regular curriculum. The investigation may include a planned program of readings or may involve research in some aspect of science. Independent studies are available to juniors or seniors with a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

A directed study is a regular course offered based on institutional need or to assist a student in maintaining adequate progress toward completion of their degree. Directed studies are available to juniors or seniors with a 2.0 cumulative GPA. The studies require periodic conferences between the student and the instructor.

Before the student registers for an independent or directed study, conference times that are mutually agreeable to the student and the instructor should be arranged. The conferences provide an evaluation of the student’s progress in the study. A paper describing the student’s findings is ordinarily required at the conclusion of the study. An independent or directed study must be concluded within the semester. Enrollment requires the approval of the Dean or Director under whose department the course is offered and the University Registrar. The Independent/Directed Study Form must be completed before the student can register or add the course and the student must complete registration before the add deadline.

Internship, Field Experience, Practicum, Thesis

Internships, graded Pass/Fail, are available to juniors and seniors; a sophomore may enroll for an internship only with the approval of the Dean. Field experience does not extend beyond a regular semester. A practicum, thesis, or internship may extend beyond a regular semester as long as the specific dates are given on the Course Extension form. A grade of “IP” will be assigned during the extension period. A field experience, practicum, or thesis is graded on the standard A–F grading scale. Requirements for these courses are outlined in the course syllabus and students are closely supervised by University Faculty.

Teaching Assistantship Credit (College of Undergraduate Studies)

One hour of credit per semester for assisting with teaching activities is available to seniors, juniors, or exceptional sophomores with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better. A Teaching Assistantship Form must be completed with the Instructor’s signature before the student can register for the credit. Assistant teaching activities are limited to lower-division courses and, except for freshman INT courses, are usually limited to courses within the student’s major. Teaching assistantship activities may include discussion-group leadership; supervised and limited preparation and delivery of lectures; tutoring of students in course work; laboratory preparation, supervision, and cleanup; and assisting in the preparation and grading of examinations. Approximately 30 clock hours of work during a semester is expected of a student earning one hour of credit.

Co-Curricular Credit (College of Undergraduate Studies)

Elective credit may be earned for various co-curricular activities including intercollegiate athletics, student government, theatre, and musical ensembles. No more than 10 hours of co-curricular credit will count toward a degree program. Some school departments may restrict co-curricular credits. See the Dean of the particular school for details. Training and participation in varsity intercollegiate team sports may be taken for credit only once per academic year. A maximum of 4 semester hours per sport may be counted toward graduation requirements.

Physical Education Credit

A student may apply a maximum of seven hours of elective credit in physical-education activity courses toward a bachelor’s degree. Activity courses include varsity sports, fitness for life, and sports courses, e.g., skiing. 

Grading System


The University uses a four-point system to calculate semester and cumulative GPAs.

Grading System with Honor Points

Letter (Honor) Points

A (exceptional quality) - 4.0
A- - 3.7
B+ - 3.3
B (commendable quality) - 3.0
B- - 2.7
C+ - 2.3
C (acceptable quality) - 2.0
C- - 1.7
D+ - 1.3
D (below average, but passing) - 1.0
D- - 0.7
F (failing, no credit) - 0.0

Grading System with No Honor Points


AU - Audit
I - Incomplete
IP - In Progress (internship, thesis, or practicum)
NC - No Credit
P - Pass (indicates grade of C or better)
W - Withdrawal
NR - No Report

Audit (AU)

Students may not audit courses in the College of Undergraduate Studies.

Incomplete (I)

Students unable to complete a course for reasons beyond their control may request an incomplete grade prior to the end date of the course. Every student petitioning for an incomplete must complete a Course Extension Form from the Service Central Office. The course Instructor and the Dean must approve the extension, and the Instructor must assign a new due date. Extensions may not exceed 120 days after the last class day of the semester for which the extension is granted. If the course is not completed by the extension date assigned by the Instructor, the student will receive an F. Students may, however, petition the previously mentioned academic administrators for an additional extension before his/her first extension expires.

In Progress (IP)

Students who make satisfactory progress in an internship, thesis, or practicum, but do not complete its requirements by the end of the semester may, with the permission of the Instructor, complete it the following semester. A Course Extension form must be completed and submitted to the Service Central Office in order to extend the completion period. A grade of IP is assigned until the undergraduate internship or thesis is completed, at which time it is replaced by a letter grade. If the internship is not completed by the end of the second semester, an F is assigned.

No Credit (NC)

An NC is assigned to courses when a student does not earn college credit for a course.

Pass (P) and Fail (F)

Certain courses are designated Pass/Fail. A passing grade awards credit but does not impact the student’s GPA. A failing grade does not award credit but does impact the student’s GPA.

Withdrawal (W)

W is assigned when a student voluntarily withdraws from a class after Wednesday of the 2nd week of class (in the fall and spring terms) and before the 11th week. In cases of withdrawal after the start of the eleventh week, the grade earned is assigned. W is also assigned when a student has been granted medical withdrawal from the University or from a specific course. Courses assigned a grade of F due to withdrawal are counted in grade point calculations; those assigned a grade of W are not counted, but may still be included in financial aid calculations.

No Report (NR)

NR is assigned when no grade is submitted for a registered student. A grade of NR does not factor into grade point calculations.

Repeat Privileges

Students may repeat any course in which a grade of B or lower was earned. When the course is repeated, both courses and their grades are shown on the transcript, but only the last grade received will be used in calculating the cumulative grade-point average and applicable credits. If the same grade is earned twice, only one grade will be used to calculate the GPA. The student must pay full tuition for repeated courses.

Change of Grades

Requests for grade changes must be submitted by the assigning Faculty member by the end of the semester after the course was taken. Only when an extension request is submitted prior to the completion of the course and grades of “incomplete” have been given is a student permitted to complete any work after the semester in which the course was taken. The University Registrar must approve any exceptions.


Students are required to abide by the attendance policies stated in each course syllabus. Each course should have a stated number of allowed absences. The University considers absences excused if:

• There is a legitimate personal or immediate family illness (nurse or physician’s written notification is required).
• The absence is a result of a formal, required curricular activity (e.g. field trip for another course) or a co-curricular assignment that the student must attend (e.g. intercollegiate athletic competition). The Co-curricular Director, and the Curricular Instructor (Coach, Athletic Director, Professor of the course involved), will affirm by memorandum that the absence is excused.
• Note: Job conflicts are not an excused absence, except in the case of military deployment or assignment.
Students who have legitimate excused absences as defined above are allowed to make up assignments without penalty. Arrangements should be made with the professor either prior to the planned absence or immediately following absence due to illness. Absences in excess of the allowed absences in each course will result in a reduction of grade as determined by the course Professor and as noted in the syllabus.

Student Academic Appeals

The process for students to appeal grades is as follows:

  1. The student will request in writing that the Faculty member reconsider the grade that was given;
  2. The student may appeal in writing to the Dean of the appropriate school before the end of the semester following the one in which the grade was assigned;
  3. Within 10 days of the Dean’s decision, the student may submit a written appeal of the Dean’s decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Students may appeal other academic decisions, as follows:

  1. The student will submit a written appeal to the Dean of the appropriate school before the end of the semester following the one in which the decision was made;
  2. Within 10 days of the Dean’s decision, the student may submit a written appeal of the Dean’s decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Student Standing


See also the Financial Aid section of the catalog for the impact of probationary status on Financial Aid and scholarships.

Academic Standing

  1. Good Standing:
    1. A student is considered to be in good standing if he or she has a cumulative 2.0 grade point average and is showing satisfactory academic progress.
  2. Academic Probation:
    1. A student who has completed 6 graded credits at CCU is automatically placed on academic probation if his or her semester GPA is below a 1.5 or his or her cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0.
    2. If for the probationary semester the student’s grade point average is above 2.0 for the semester but the cumulative average is still below 2.0, the student will remain on academic probation.
    3. Students on academic probation are ineligible for certain activities and programs. See statement on “Conditions of Academic Probation”
    4. Entering students who are conditionally admitted are on academic probation and therefore will follow the guidelines set for probationary students and will be required to participate in special programs. In addition, conditionally admitted students cannot receive a D, F or W (withdraw) in any of his/her courses.
  3. Conditions of Academic Probation: Certain restrictions are placed upon students who are on academic probation. Non-compliance with any of these restrictions are taken very seriously because the conditions of Academic Probation exist to help students identify and solve their academic struggles. There are a variety of consequences for non-compliance including but not limited to a) a summons to meet with the Life Directions Center Director b) a notification letter sent to a student’s parent or guardian or c) an immediate academic suspension.
    1. Students on academic probation must discuss and sign an Accountability Contract with their Life Directions Center (LDC) Advisor within 2 weeks of the start of the semester.
    2. Students must fulfill the requirements set forth in the Accountability Contract.
    3. Students on academic probation may register for a maximum academic load of 13 semester hours.
    4. Students on academic probation are not eligible to run for student body offices or hold leadership positions unless it is part of a class requirement.
    5. Students on academic probation are not eligible to participate in study abroad programs.
    6. Students who participate in intercollegiate athletics must meet not only CCU eligibility standards but also NCAA eligibility standards. See Athletic Director for additional information.
    7. Students on academic probation should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how their financial aid is affected by their academic status. Students on academic probation are not eligible to register for classes or participate in any extra curricular activities until receiving approval from their LDC Advisors.
  4. Academic Suspension:
    1. A student on academic probation will be academically suspended at the end of any semester in which the student’s semester GPA falls below 2.0.
    2. Students who are academically suspended will be notified as soon as possible after the end of the term. They will also be given information concerning their rights of appeal and the reinstatement process.
  5. Suspension Appeals:
    1. Students are given the opportunity to appeal an academic suspension if there are mitigating circumstances that directly affected their academic performance.
    2. Appeals will be reviewed by the Academic Review Committee which consists of the Deans Council, the Life Directions Center Director and Life Directions Center Student Success Coordinator. The Academic Review Committee may also require the student’s attendance at a hearing. Decisions made by the Academic Review Committee are final.
    3. A well written and grammatically correct appeal is required. Appeals should address:
      1. An explanation of why academic efforts were unsuccessful
      2. Reasons for wishing to remain enrolled at Colorado Christian University
      3. Changes the student will make and a plan for future success
    4. A student whose appeal is accepted will be on academic probation and must follow the probationary guidelines described above.
  6. Reinstatement following Academic Suspension: A student may be considered for reinstatement at CCU when the following guidelines are followed.
    1. Any student who is academically suspended may apply for reinstatement after completing 12 credits at an accredited college or university and receiving a grade of C or better in all 12 credits.
    2. The student should submit an official transcript and letter requesting reinstatement to the Director of the Life Directions Center. The reinstatement request deadline is one week prior to the start of the semester.
    3. The request will be reviewed and if accepted, the student will be notified. If the student has been gone for more than a year and needs to re-enroll, the student will be cleared to contact Admissions for re-enrollment.
    4. Any disciplinary issues pending at the time the student was academically suspended will be addressed with the student before they are cleared for re-enrollment. 
    5. In response to the Reinstatement request, The Director of the Life Directions Center may:
      1. Act to reinstate the student.
      2. Deny readmission.
      3. May set conditions to be met before a second appeal will be considered. A second appeal will only be considered if the student has met set conditions or has new information to present.
    6. A student who is reinstated from suspension will remain on academic probation until a 2.0 cumulative grade point average is achieved. 

Undergraduate Scholastic Honors/Commencement


Dean’s List

To encourage academic excellence and progress, full-time undergraduate students who earn a semester GPA of 3.7 or better are recognized by placement on the Dean’s List.

Latin Laude Honors

Because spring semester grades are due after the commencement ceremony, for the purposes of the May commencement ceremony all honors and awards will be based on the calculations of the previous fall term records. Final honors and awards will be posted on students’ transcripts at the time that they complete their degree requirements and will be based on the final cumulative grade point average.

Undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree who have completed at least 60 semester hours of credit at Colorado Christian University may be eligible for Laude Honors. To achieve Laude Honors at graduation, students must have the following cumulative GPAs at the beginning of their final semester of study: Cum Laude (with honor), 3.5; Magna Cum Laude (with high honor), 3.7; Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor), 3.9.

University Honors

Undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree who have completed less than 60 semester hours of credit at Colorado Christian University may be eligible for University Honors. To achieve University Honors at graduation, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better while attending Colorado Christian University.


Students are expected to file a Graduation Application by the end of the semester following their completion of 90 credit hours.  For students who plan to graduate in May of their senior year, Graduation Applications should be filed prior to the end of the fall semester of their senior year.

Commencement Participation

Students who anticipate earning required credits by taking CLEP or DSST exams must complete these tests and have the test transcripts submitted with their graduation application no later than January 31 to have the test results count toward fulfillment of their degree requirements and participate in Commencement. Students are normally expected to complete all requirements toward fulfillment of their degree prior to participating in commencement.

Because there is only one commencement ceremony per year, CCU will make an exception to this policy under the following conditions:

1. An undergraduate student who has no more than 6 credits of work outstanding or no more than student teaching remaining and is registered to complete those credits in the upcoming summer or fall semester.
2. A graduate student who has no more than 6 credits of work outstanding.

Students are expected to have all financial obligations owed to the University paid in full prior to participating in commencement.

Academic Records


Transcript Requests

Official transcripts will be provided upon receipt of a signed, written request from the student. A nominal fee of $5 is charged for each transcript requested. Walk-in or rushed requests are charged at $20 per copy. Official transcripts will not be released until all accounts are paid in full. Unofficial transcripts may be obtained through WebAdvisor at no charge.

Notice of Privacy Rights of Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, with which the University intends to fully comply, is designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the act.

The University’s institutional policy concerning privacy rights of students explains, in detail, the procedures to be used by the University for compliance with the provisions of FERPA. Copies of the policy and a list of all records maintained on students by the University are available from the Service Central Office.

Notice of Directory Information

The University designates the following student information as public or directory information. Such information may be disclosed by the institution for any purpose at its discretion.

  • Name, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail address, dates of attendance, class level
  • The most recent previous institution attended, major field(s) of study, degrees and awards received
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and the height and weight of members of athletic teams

Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of directory information under the provisions of FERPA. To withhold disclosure, students must provide written notification to the Service Central Office at the time of the student’s initial registration and again by September 15 each year of attendance. Forms requesting the withholding of directory information are available in the Service Central Office.

Personal Integrity

Students are expected to maintain the highest standards of personal integrity. Cheating, dishonesty, and plagiarism in any form (unintentional or intentional) are contrary to Christian ethics and are grounds for course failure, probation, or dismissal. Plagiarism involves presenting the work of another as one’s own. To avoid unintentional plagiarism, students should follow standard procedures for referencing papers and reports.