Academic Catalog 2008-2009 
    Aug 17, 2022  
Academic Catalog 2008-2009 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information (CUS)

Click on the link below for more information


All charges for tuition, fees, and room and board are due in full by July 1, 2008, for the fall 2008 semester and December 1, 2008, for the spring 2009 semester.

Students unable to pay the full amount by these dates may utilize financial aid and/or participate in a monthly payment plan offered through the University called FACTS (a Nelnet Business Solutions company). This plan is a monthly automatic withdrawal of funds from the student’s bank to be deposited with CCU and allows the student to pay the expenses for two semesters over a 12-month period starting in July and ending in June. More detailed information about this payment method is available at the Payment Options Web page.

Students whose accounts are not paid in full or who are not enrolled in one of our payment options may be restricted from attending class, and will not be allowed to register for the following semester. Delinquent accounts will be assessed late fees, amounting to one and one-half percent interest on the balance at the end of each month.

All outstanding amounts resulting from nonpayment of tuition and fees are the responsibility of the student. Any student who is negligent in making adequate and timely arrangements to pay his or her account, or in completing arrangements for his or her financial aid, may be subject to immediate dismissal. Withdrawal from the University, officially or unofficially, will not cancel any financial obligation already incurred.

Additionally, failure to pay all financial obligations may result in debts being turned over to a collection agency. Collection costs, including attorney fees and other charges necessary for the collection of any amount due, will be added to the student’s account balance. Students will not be allowed to participate in graduation activities, receive a diploma, or obtain an official transcript until all financial obligations to the University have been met.


To cover the extra costs incurred, special fees are required of students participating in certain courses, events, and programs. See our website for Tuition and Fees information. Fees are not refunded.


A non-refundable $150 tuition deposit, credited toward tuition, is required of all students entering the College of Undergraduate Studies. An additional $200 housing deposit is required to reserve a room on campus. After the housing deposit, application and contract are received, the Residence Life Office will send a letter designating the housing assignment. If a student does not reside on campus (for an approved reason in accordance with CCU’s residency requirement ), after applying for housing and signing the housing contract, the housing deposit for fall applicants is fully refundable until June 1, and partially refundable until July 15; for spring applicants, the deposit is fully refundable until December 1, through a written request to the Residence Life Office. No refunds of deposits will be given to students who decide not to live in on-campus housing or who apply for housing after these respective dates. Once a student has completed the terms of the contract, the deposit will be returned to the student if there is no outstanding balance due CCU and check-out procedures have been properly followed.

Housing and Meal Plans

On-campus housing contracts apply to the entire academic year. If a student is leaving at semester break, a Housing Contract Release Request must be submitted and approved by December 1st in order to avoid spring housing and dining charges. After the first two weeks of the semester, housing and/or meal plan charges will only be refunded in extraordinary cases, as determined by the Department of Residence Life.


Students contemplating complete withdrawal from the University should first contact their Academic Advisor to complete the appropriate paperwork. Refunds will be made according to the following schedule:

  Traditional fall and spring terms:    
  Withdraw by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday of the 2nd week of class:   Refund = 100%
  Withdraw by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday of the 3rd week of class:   Refund = 75%
  Withdraw by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday of the 4th week of class:   Refund = 50%
  Withdraw any time after   Refund = 0%
  Summer and winter terms:    
  Summer and winter classes with terms three weeks or less will have the following refund percentages apply:
  Withdraw before the second class meets:   Refund = 100%
  Withdraw before the third class meets:   Refund = 50%
  Withdraw any time after the third class meets:   Refund = 0%
  Summer classes with terms greater than 3 weeks will have the following refund percentages apply:
  Withdraw before the second week of class starts:   Refund = 100%
  Withdraw before the third week of class starts:   Refund = 50%
  Withdraw any time after the third week of class starts:   Refund = 0%

For these figures, weeks are calculated from the start date of the course. Fees are not refunded. If a withdrawing student has any outstanding obligations to the University, any approved refund will be applied to the outstanding obligation and the student will be liable for any unpaid balance. Please note that classes are not considered “dropped” until the appropriate paperwork is filed with the Service Central office and processing is completed. This paperwork must be completed by the above deadlines to be considered for a refund.

If a student withdraws on or before the third week of school any portion of ineligible Title IV funds disbursed to a student (Pell Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, but not Federal Work-Study) must be returned, according to the provisions of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998. The calculation of the return of these funds may result in the student owing a balance to the University and/or the Federal Government.

Financial Aid


Qualifying for Federal Financial Aid

To receive any federal aid, whether a grant or a loan, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on an annual basis. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible to maximize the possibility of receiving certain grants and loans that have limited funding. You may submit the FAFSA as early as January 1 for the next fall. Students are encouraged to submit the FAFSA via the internet at

Some students will be selected by the government for a process known as verification. If this happens, the student will need to supply the University with a completed verification worksheet and copies of completed federal income tax returns and W-2 forms. Families are encouraged to file their federal tax forms early because awarding will not be done until the verification process is complete.

Most, but not all, federal aid is based on need. A student’s financial need is determined by federal methodology using information supplied on the FAFSA. Students who do not qualify for need-based aid may qualify for federal non-need-based loans. The FAFSA form takes into account family size, family income, assets, and the number of family members attending college. Exceptional circumstances should be addressed to the Service Central office. All students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid.

Federal Financial Aid

Colorado Christian University administers the following federal aid programs: the Federal Pell Grant program, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant program, the Federal Work-Study program, the Federal Perkins Loan program, the Federal Stafford Loan program (both subsidized and unsubsidized), and the Federal Plus Loan program. General information about these programs is available through the Service Central office or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Veteran’s Benefits

CCU is approved for federal veteran’s education benefits to qualified students. Applicants for these benefits may secure forms from the Veteran’s Benefits Office. Eligible students should keep in mind that benefits may not be received for a number of weeks after enrollment and should be prepared to meet University expenses until the veteran’s benefits arrive.

Institutional Financial Aid

The University funds a variety of grants and scholarships for qualifying students. Awards are available for, but not limited to, the following:

  • Students who have academically excelled
  • Students participating in intercollegiate athletics
  • Students who have shown leadership abilities
  • Students exhibiting higher than average financial need

In addition to the categories listed above, the University has established the Church/College Matching Grant to assist churches in encouraging their young people to attend Colorado Christian University. The church may make a gift of any amount to the University for credit to a specific student’s account. The University will then match up to $750 of the gift for any student. Gifts may be made for any number of students from a church. The gifts are intended to be an official act of the church as a whole rather than those of specific church members.

To qualify for institutional aid, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled full-time in the College of Undergraduate Studies
  • Not be receiving tuition waivers as employees or dependents of employees

For detailed information regarding CCU’s institutional grants and scholarships, contact the Service Central office or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Financial aid is not available for courses that are being audited

Maintaining Eligibility for Financial Aid

To remain eligible for financial aid, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. For financial aid purposes, the University has established the following standards for satisfactory academic progress. Questions about satisfactory academic progress should be referred to the Service Central office.

  • A student must be enrolled as a regular student seeking a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • An undergraduate student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. A graduate student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Students failing to maintain the minimum cumulative GPA requirements will be put on financial aid probation and must bring their average up to the required standard in the next semester. Failure to do so will make the student ineligible to receive financial aid until the standard is met or the student successfully appeals for an extension of the probationary period.
  • Students are required to meet the following cumulative GPA requirement to maintain their eligibility for an academic merit scholarship:

Trustee’s Scholar

President’s Scholar

Dean’s Scholar

Honor’s Scholar






  • Students must successfully complete at least two-thirds of the courses they attempt. Courses with grades of W, WP, F, or I will remain in the financial aid credit calculation and are not considered to have been successfully completed, but are taken into account in calculating the completion rate. Students failing to successfully complete two-thirds of the courses they attempt will be put on financial aid probation. At the end of the probationary semester, they must have successfully completed two-thirds of the courses attempted at CCU or they will become ineligible to receive financial aid. The ineligibility will continue until they meet the standard or successfully appeal for an extension of their probationary period.
  • Students who are on financial aid probation have one semester to come into compliance with both the quantitative (completion rate) and qualitative (cumulative GPA) components of the satisfactory academic-progress policy. Those who do not will be ineligible to receive financial aid.

Because real progress in an academic program is of greatest concern, students are evaluated for eligibility every semester, whether or not financial aid has been received. Students who become ineligible may appeal the decision with the Financial Aid Committee. The ruling of that committee is final.

Undergraduate students are required to take a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester in order to qualify for federal financial aid except for provisions in the Federal Pell Grant Program that will allow less than half-time students to receive a Pell Grant. However, once a student has received their first undergraduate baccalaureate degree, they no longer qualify to receive a Federal Pell Grant.

Undergraduate students are required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester in order to qualify for institutional grants and scholarships. Full-time status is 12 hours or more, three-quarter time status is 9-11 hours, and half-time status is 6-8 hours.

How to Apply for Federal and Institutional Aid

  • Apply for admission. Entering students cannot be candidates for financial aid until they have been admitted.
  • Complete and submit the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA forms via the Internet at A paper application may be obtained from the Federal Student Aid Web site. Paper applications should be mailed directly to the federal processor, not to the University, using the address provided on the application.
  • If applying for institutional scholarships, the student should complete and return the appropriate scholarship applications to the University.
  • The student may receive requests for additional information or documentation. To help expedite the application, students should promptly submit the requested information.

Applications for financial aid should be submitted by March 1 for priority awarding. Applications completed after March 1 are considered only if funds are still available. Students are notified as awards are made.