Academic Catalog 2015-2016 (Addended) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Master of Arts in Biblical Studies
The Master of Arts in Biblical Studies focuses on the exegesis and interpretation of specific sections and books of the Bible. The emphasis of the degree is on understanding the Bible. This graduate degree prepares individuals in Christian ministry with knowledge and skills that strengthen their Biblical understanding. This graduate degree may also appeal to students desiring personal enrichment and a deeper understanding of God’s Word.
Objectives of the Master of Arts in Biblical Studies program
The Master of Arts in Biblical Studies degree equips the student to be competent in biblical exegesis, the practical use of the biblical languages, and understanding the culture and land of the Bible. In addition, this degree prepares the student to communicate biblical truth to others in the church, the workplace and one’s personal world of influence. As a result of their studies at Colorado Christian University, the Master of Biblical Studies graduate student will become proficient in grasping both a macro approach to Scripture through “charting” and a micro approach through sentence diagramming. They will further develop proficiency in word studies, topic studies and exegetical studies.
Upon completion of the Master of Arts in Biblical Studies, the student will be able to:
- Weave the isolated strands of Scripture into a beautiful tapestry that exposes God’s plan and its execution in the affairs of mankind.
- Exegete specific texts of the Bible in relationship with the various literary genres of Scripture.
- Comprehend and utilize the historical, grammatical approach to the interpretation of Scripture.
- Develop a biblical worldview with the competence to think critically in order to interpret accurately the world around him/her.
- Utilize the practical use of the biblical languages for accurate exegesis of Scripture by means of the Logos language tools.
Admission to the Master of Arts in Biblical Studies Degree Program
- Submit a completed application form.
- Submit an official transcript that reflects a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited higher education institution.
- Submit a professional letter of recommendation.
- Have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The grade point average minimum may be waived based on exceptional, related professional experience.
- The GRE will be required for a GPA lower than 3.0. The GRE test must have been taken within 2 years of application. The GRE score requirement may also be waived based on professional experience.
Transfer of Courses
Students may transfer up to nine semester hours of graduate credit from a regionally accredited college or university. The coursework must be comparable to that offered at CCU and fulfill the M.A. in Biblical Studies requirements.
The M.A. in Biblical Studies is a 39 credit-hour degree designed to be completed within two years of intensive study by persons who work or are otherwise occupied by the equivalent of a full time job. Biblical Studies courses may be taken online or in the classroom.
All work applied toward a master’s degree must be completed within a four-year period from the date of enrollment. After the four-year period, an M.A. in Biblical Studies student who has not completed the requirements to graduate will be withdrawn from the program. Students who go beyond the four-year period and wish to complete their M.A. in Biblical Studies degree will be required to apply for reconsideration by completing a Petition for Exception to Academic Policy. Readmitted students will be required to adhere to the degree plans and academic policies in place at the time they are readmitted.