In 1914 Colorado Christian University’s heritage institution, Denver Bible Institute, was founded on the principles of grace and truth, taken from the Gospel of John. “Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ” from “the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:17, 14). In pursuit of these values, Denver Bible Institute’s mission was to “teach the Bible as the Word of God and to train young men and women in the things of the Holy Spirit as they are in Jesus Christ, our Lord.” The first classes were held in a rented building with two students and one teacher. God used this humble beginning to start an exciting journey that has given Colorado Christian University the grace to continue standing for His truth for nearly a century.
As the demand for Christian training grew, Denver Bible Institute was granted a state charter to become a four-year Bible college in 1945 and was renamed Denver Bible College. A short time later, the college expanded and developed three main academic schools: the College of Liberal Arts, the Theological School, and the Bible Institute.
Expansion continued and within four years Denver Bible College became Rockmont College. Meanwhile, another CCU heritage institution, Western Bible Institute, was founded by a Denver Bible Institute alumnus in 1948 “to prepare students for field ministry.”
In 1981, Rockmont College was awarded accreditation by the North Central Association, and four years later the school merged with Western Bible Institute to become Colorado Christian College. Recognizing the benefits of combining resources to create an influential Christian university in Colorado, Colorado Christian College merged with Colorado Baptist University and became Colorado Christian University in 1989.
Today, over 8,000 undergraduate, adult undergraduate, and graduate students enroll in more than 100 academic programs at Colorado Christian University’s main campus in Lakewood, as well as through our online program and at academic centers in Colorado Springs, Denver Tech Center, Grand Junction, Loveland, Pueblo, and Sterling. Nearly 4,000 students enrolled in CCU’s Dual Credit program in 2017-2018, while attending approximately 130 partner high schools, including three international schools.
Through the years many things about CCU have changed. Thousands of students have come and gone, the campus facilities have seen countless improvements, new programs have been launched to train the next generation of Christian leaders, students have gone on mission trips to countries that didn’t exist when we were founded, and the University has been blessed by growing enrollments. Even now CCU continues to grow and change, most recently with the addition of Leprino Hall, a 43,000 square foot academic building that was part of phase one of the campus redevelopment project, Yetter Hall, a 53 apartment-style unit residence hall that was the first completed construction of phase two, and the Anschutz Student Center, a 60,000 square foot building that features dining, fitness, and office space. Through the years one thing has remained constant: our commitment to a firm foundation that rests on the grace and truth of Christ. Throughout its history, Colorado Christian University has seen God’s hand orchestrating each step in the journey, and the University looks toward the future with great anticipation for where He will lead us as the journey continues.